Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tuna Salute

If you can read this message, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a veteran. - On the back of a T-shirt.

In case you've checked my posting dates, you can see that I have been dormant for a while. I guess I did not have too much to say. Now I do.

I have had the privilege to participate in the Honor Flight program. Honor Flight flies World War II veterans to Washington, DC to see the World War II Memorial and other memorials. This nationwide program is 100% volunteer driven. The purpose of the program is to demonstrate admiration and gratitude to the men and women who served our country with honor.

I had always assumed that WWII veterans came home to parades and much fanfare. In truth, most came home quietly, took off their uniforms, put on their civilian clothes and went out to find a job or go to college on the GI Bill. For most, there has never been a thank you.

The most recent Wilmington flight was May 26th. I had the honor of spending the day with the three gentlemen above - Richard Gough (seated), Anthony Pelliccio and Roscoe Turlington. None considered themselves to be heroes. THEY ALL ARE.

Find out more about Honor Flight at http://www.honorflightsenc.org/ If you have a friend or relative who served during World War II, you'll find a application to go on a flight. If you want to volunteer or make a donation, you'll find that information also. I'll tell you more about the trip next time, but I can assure you it was a wonderful day for each veteran and a memorable experience for every volunteer.

This Memorial Day, thank a veteran.

Make www.russmay.com your resource to search homes for sale in Landfall, the Historic District, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach . . . or any other Wilmington, NC neighborhood. Rely on me, Russ May, to make your home purchase a smooth and pleasant transaction. Your complete satisfaction is my goal. Call me now at (910) 619-1501 or 1-800-RUSS MAY.

No comments: